Friday 29 June 2012

An exploration of music, mountains and soul

So, in September I have been given the opportunity to go trekking in the Jungfrau region in Switzerland.

Google tells me it looks a little like this...

















But I guess I'll have to wait until I get there to know for sure.


This trek is not in aid of anything other than my Dad proving that at 62 he's still badass. And yep, he's still badass. On a very personal level though, I feel that now is my time to "shine?" God that sounds cliché. You get the picture though, by this I mean that I want my trek to be more than just climbing some big mountains, I want it to have a goal.


  • I want this prove that I have the will-power and self-control to get where I need to be to satisfy the thing inside me that keeps me chained to my computer writing music like if I didn't I'd die.

  • I want this to prove that I can overcome the feeling of frustration that I don't always have control over my muscles and learn that if I can trek six days at vast altitudes, it's ok to have off days.

  •  I want to learn that if I stop searching and start practising what I preach I will encounter religious experiences.

To do this I am going to need music. Lots and lots of music.

I am going to be walking for about 6 days straight (I'll check with trip organiser soon and confirm) and I intend to fill each day with a wondrous selection of music from chilled-out-ambient to dubbed-out-techno, to dubstep, to drum and bass to tribal, to trance to weird, and back again.

Thing is, while I have a very large collection of music I don't actually have time to trawl through it all and while I've not directly listened to it all I am still looking for new and fresh ideas.


But that's just music. And music will only get me so far. I'm also going to be attempting some kind of spiritual cleansing while I'm up there. You know, so I can stop saying I'll do crap and actually do it. So I can stop being a hypocrite and start with a more positive outlook on what I need to do to get to where I need to be.

In light of this I am going to be starting some kind of gnostic, meditative, Right of the Bornless One-esque 'routine'. For that I'm gonna need pointing in a general direction as well because sadly I'm lacking in much knowledge of where to begin.


So basically. Fire away with suggestions for music and if you know anything about gnostic-win then chuck something in there as well. I will listen to/read anything people suggest and if it fits then it goes in the playlist/routine. The reward? I'll try and take loads of photo's and if I do encounter anything spiritual up in the mountains I'll let you know.


That's all for now. Time to get some sleep before an early start for tomorrows training walk. Here goes.

xx


No comments: